Monday, November 29, 2010

Identity confused ducklings, among other things...

View from the top of Volcán Barú

Community members at Omar Torrijos Park


Chimba with her new litter in my rancho.

Baile in my town, before it really got started.

Caitlyn and I after conquering a volcano, and also the highest point in Panama.


Hummingbird at Omar Torrijos national park

Cristo Nezareno, "walking" out the church in Portobello on Oct. 21




The ducklings with confused identity

Where to begin? Yet again it has been so long in between posts that I have no idea where to begin. I'll just load alot of pictures to keep you interested...

So to update you all on my living situation. I have finally bought some chickenwire and covered the gap between the wall and roof, ideally keeping the bats out. They can't see it and just fly right into it. Sometimes they slip in a crack, but on the whole this has been very successful. Having bat nightmares every night was just no fun.

Went to the Cristo Nazareno festival in Portobello again this year and it was great. Like last year, only this year.

Went to an overnight seminar on reforestation held by ANAM at the local National Park with four community members. Although the seminar was basically about making a profit tree farming and had very little to do with any kind of project going on in the community, the best part was that it was their first time at the park. We spent the night in the big cabin and laughed alot.

Projects have been on and off lately, frustrated by the Panamanian way, which is very, very slow. So I have been doing what work comes my way and enjoying being a part of my community. Actually painting the rocks around town with an environmental message will happen soon, now that they have finally been able to open the broken door of the storage room where my paint was being held (for two weeks).

Went to Thanksgiving again in Cerro Punta and brought my friend Caitlyn, who is visiting from New York, along. Ate a ton of food and danced a bit. Got to know a few volunteers that I rarely get to see during the year better. Bought a few cool things from other volunteer's communities. It was fun.

As all of you should know by now, I LOVE having visitors and it has been great hanging around with Caitlyn the last couple of weeks. We only knew each other for 3 weeks or so while I worked at that crazy ski lodge in Winter Park, but you know how good vibes go and so she came down to visit. Her independent spirit reminds me of being home with friends and we have had so much fun. Conquered Volcan Baru with a night hike that included 6 hours of walking in the rain. I nearly froze alive, until that glorious entity the Sun came up, burned off the clouds and exposed the view we had walked 9 miles up to see. It is the highest point in Panama, 11,398 feet, and you can easily see both oceans, even on a somewhat cloudy day. Amazing and a bad ass confidence boost.

And so what do the next few months hold??? Party time here in Panama. November starts the celebrating with the two independence days celebrated here, Christmas, New Year, Patronales in Ojo de Agua is basically all of January, and then along comes Carnavales. A good time to be here, I must say. Can't wait for my brother, Jason, to get down here and celebrate with me!

2 comments:

rtsiel said...

Glad to here you are still having a good time and didn't freeze. Wow. You are gonna have to get a bigger head to hold all the memories your making BooBears. Love you. Su padre.

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Love the update! The 3rd picture from the bottom was my favorite. Keep posting!