Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dance my shoes off, pues...




Butterfly at the community garden in Elfrida


Mrs. Gordon, the best English teacher ever, and I after I gave a presentation about my service to Mom's Sunday school class.


Katie and Grandmaw!


Vicksburg and the mighty Mississippi!

Mom forces us to have a photo shoot!


Eccentric man in New Orleans!



Just a few random pics from my trip home to feast your eyes on. The trip was amazing and it was so good to see all of you! I love you so much! I can't believe that crazy itinerary actually got pulled off. After I got back I spend a solid day cleaning up all the critters from my house, but it was so worth it. Ahhhhhh, Panama...

So, wrapping up the big AVC seminar (read all volunteer conference) as in, like 250 development professionals taking over a hotel in Chitre for three days. Before I went I thought it might go either way, but turns out it was pretty enjoyable. I left this morning with my bucket full both socially and professionally (that's a good thing) and only one dancin' sandal (that's when you know it was a good time). Inspired to turn ideas into action and all that great stuff. Especially with the youth in my community. I co-facilitated a cross-sector discussion about getting estufas justas (the brick stoves) started at your site and I got some funding to add to what the environmental group at the school has raised to buy paint and put environmental messages around town. It's going to be so much fun! Just have to figure out how to get the ATM and my debit card to function cohesively.

After leaving the conference, Becca and I decided to split a room in Penonome together. We hopped off the bus and randomly decide to follow the sketchy hostel sign on the side of the road rather than head to the old stand-by hotel. Roaming around neighborhoods of catcalling men was not high on my list of priorities today but luckily I had my sunglasses on and thereby was able to endure.

After twists and turns and 2 lefts, 2 rights and crossing a tiny pipe we arrived at what seemed to be a mirage. Is that a two level swimming pool with waterfall? Wi-fi, hot water, a/c AND a whirl tub, all in our regional capitol? A rancho big enough for regional meetings? And, what... why, it's a tiny motorcycle mounted in the pool for children to play with. We have found paradise. Hostal Villa Esperanza, thank you for not being a brothel.

As a way-ward traveler may be inclined to do, I have been embracing my roots lately. By reading Faulkner. Light in August and afterward I plan on starting The Sound and the Fury. Excellent. I've finally found a place quiet enough that I can embrace those endearingly long trains of thought. Predeterminism is not my usually my cup of tea, maybe that's why I like it.

The new calendars are here! The new calendars are here! 2011! And they have some of my photos in them! How fast the time is going. They'll be shipping them to Washington soon, and from there you will be able to buy them at the Peace Corps Panama Friends website! The money from calendar sales goes to fund grants for small projects that we are doing in our sites, such as the environmental message project I mentioned earlier. Grants of $60 or less. Also, you can read our magazine La Vaina on the website as well, of which I am now the official Photo Editor. Woot. The latest one should be loaded soon. I contributed "The Space Between Us: A Wandering Book Review" (Dad, that is the book your friend bought me in Nevada), the horoscopes "Your Panamanian Stars" and lots of ideas. I'll have to remember to add published astrology reader to my resume.

1 comment:

Rodney and Cindi said...

Wow Nikki! Great blog entry. The pics are cool. Beautiful flutterbys. I'll tell Erika what the book inspired. Love ya!