Thursday, December 1, 2011

Waaaay, parades and funded projects!


Life in Panama has been quite eventful since the last time I checked in. Most recently, about an hour ago, I got to see an Italian movie double feature for a couple of bucks, courtesy of the Italian embassy. Se fossi in te and L'Ultimo Pulcinella. Snuck in red wine in a spaghetti sauce jar and called it a date. Love Italian cinema. But like I said to my fellow Volunteer at the time, there seems to be something fundamental we miss by not being from an old european society.

Being a third year Volunteer has really given me a knack for making the most of my time, by reading the paper and actually taking advantage of cultural nights in the city when I happen to be here working. Except for missing the one and only Jane Goodall speak. Sigh. But that is just too painful to get into. Too soon, too soon.

Today, has been great. A lot of bus time got me to the solar energy company today, just in time for a short planning meeting with the technician in charge of the project. Obtained the budget (signed) that I needed to further pursue funding from the environmental agency of Panama (still not holding my breath, but intently plugging along) and went to play on the internet at a real-live book store. Then, after clicking around for a half hour, I saw it...

The solar panel project has been fully funded!

BIG THANKS
to everyone who pitched in! And even to those that couldn't. What a relief that now the whole school can get lights. We'll have some excited teachers, students, and parents!  In a roundabout way it happened from getting an article published in the Clarion Ledger back home.  You can read it here.


Here are some pictures of the various parades we've celebrated in Ojo de Agua during the patriotic month of November.


Salute to the church on Flag day.


Lovely sunny moment with view.


Eat the buttery apple game. This is the pair that eventually won.

Cute.


"Yes, it does matter, Patty."


Day of the Dead, in Ojo everyone visits the cemetery and spruces up the graves of loved ones.

We had a great Thanksgiving dinner, once again, out at Los Quetzales in Cerro Punta, Chiriqui. It's absolutely gorgeous there. Chilly and lodgy with a raging fire. We ate a huge, picture-worthy delicious traditional meal. After we digested we danced and were danced for. The next morning, before leaving, I went on a horse ride around the mountain that gives the town it's name for a few hours, coming down in the neighboring town of Las Nubes. Got to see up close all the farms that produce a large amount of the country's fresh produce and all the beautiful little kids gawking at the girl on the horse. It was a spunky young horse named Diablito that liked to run, too. Very nice indeed. Got to start practicing if I want to open up that wild mustang reserve in Arizona one day.

The brand, new for 2012 Peace Corps Calendars are out! Buy one here and support projects in Panama while viewing some lovely photographs!  I got a couple of nice pictures in this year at the last minute. 

Tomorrow, into the office for a little while and then if the stars align, a Chinese circus in Chitre. Have decided to spend Christmas in site, rather than traveling. New Year's will also be spent in site. Funny how you know the holiday season has arrived by the pine tree, snowman christmas stuff rather than a cooling off of the weather. Still just rain and more rain. I really can't complain, because the rain is what allowed me to check War and Peace off my to-read list. Woo hoo.

Also, please everyone remember today is HIV/AIDS awareness day, but it really should be all the time. If there is one thing I feel I must leave in these young adults' minds it is to ALWAYS be safe and use protection. The rates here in Panama are of course rising, like most everywhere else in the world, but mostly among women. It is a scary world out there.

I also want to say I feel shocked and very sad about what happened to a second cousin in the family, Eric.  Sometimes life really throws something out there that can't be explained with our simple logic.  Prayers and hugs to family.  

On a happier note, I hope everyone has a great holiday season, wherever you are. Thanks again for your support and many warm wishes from Panama!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the post. Love you.