Saturday, July 7, 2012

Long time coming...

It’s been a long time coming- the closing blog entry for Julie Nicole Travels. So, rewinding the clocks, it’s been about 5 months since the last time I updated. After reading through it again, it feels so light and free! These last few months have been... I can’t even describe it. There were times when I thought that if I had to take on any more, I just might drop it all.

I was oddly reminded of something I learned in social psychology, way back in college, about the Holmes and Rahe stress scale, a list of 43 stressful life events in the past year of your life that rate you on to a scale of 300 on possibility of illness from stress. I’ve thought of it quite a bit, adding up major events of my life, wondering if I am near the limit. Things like Marriage, Pregnancy, Change of Residence, even down to change of eating habits and traffic violations affect your final score. At this point I think I’m at about 243...

Anyway, I can now say, in hindsight, that I have successfully completed my tour of duty with the US Peace Corps. Signing up for another year enabled me to actually feel like I did give something back to the community that gave me so much. I must also say, I don’t know who will really care about reading it, but I highly recommend taking the time to draft a Description of Service (DOS) that includes all the things you feel are important about your service. A nice DOS and getting a pat on the back from your Country Director can make everything seem like it was just fine, even if you’re still sweating over what kind of little legacy you’ve left. It just makes you feel good.

My original August 2012 departure date was moved up, put into warp drive, because of some personal reasons, and so I had to get everything about my service finished by May. Throw in closure with community members, fellow Volunteers and duties as editor of the newsletter and this left little time for horsing around. (I never did get up to Bocas.) I wanted it all, and I wasn’t going to be satisfied until the inauguration of the solar panel system of Ojo de Agua had taken place, my dog was on the plane and my fourth issue of La Vaina was ready for print.

It nearly killed me, but I did it.

Here’s a link to the last May 2012 La Vaina I got to help put together. If the link doesn't work search Peace Corps Panama Friends La Vaina. Emma and David really did the bulk of the work. I have an article describing my going away party and my project, for those interested.

And so, now that I have somewhat summed up what I consider the work responsibilities I felt I needed to accomplish in order to successfully finish service, I’ll share my personal goal for the last few months: Get my new little family back to the States with me.

Leaving another country abruptly after living there for so long can be incredibly nerve racking, especially when you have decided to throw down some of your roots there and let it really be a part of your life. I never dreamed that my service would end in such a way. Instead of coming back home alone to the challenges and rewards of life, I will be sharing it with Henry, Elfrida and a new baby girl. It’s definitely been a turn for the better, no matter the obstacles, and now I can’t imagine any other life for me.

I’ve been back in Mississippi about 2 months now, careful to take it easy, or at least as easy as one can possibly take it while planning and being a part of a wedding, and now I feel like I’ve reached a moment to breathe, reflect and sum up this journal I’ve kept over the past 4 years.

I really love all of you who have cared enough to keep up with me on these travels and I hope you will continue to do so through other means. Thanks to everyone who was touched enough by something so far away to donate to the solar panel project in Ojo de Agua and make it a reality. There are some very happy and proud students, parents and teachers because of it. Take care and keep in touch. 



2 comments:

Rodney and Cindi said...

Nikki... you probably never realized the "strangers" who have enjoyed your journal. There are several people at work who have, out of the blue, mentioned remembering the link I gave them months or years back and reading it. You've touched lives in many places that you may never realize. Thanks. Dad

Ashley Blacker said...

Hey Nikki,

Wanted to say congratulations and WOW! So much happened so fast! What a beautiful post, and what an amazing ending to the PC story. (I bet my mom is sad your blog is over with :) I wish you and your family all the best, congratulations!!!

Please send my regards to Henry !!